Friday, November 21, 2008

I Even Do Windows


Almost everything in our house has been replaced or restored except the windows---and there are a lot of them. The small panes along the front and back of the house are one of the things that sold me on the place, but after we moved in I started to notice how dirty they were. On a sunny Saturday afternoon with the boys napping I finally tackled the job. A little bit of online research led me to a pretty good little tip from Martha Stewart: dishwashing detergent. I cut open a pre-measured dishwashing pack (one that has both powdered and liquid soap) and mixed 1 tablespoon of the powder with a gallon of hot water. Using a rag (and wearing rubber gloves) I wet the windows down with the solution and then wiped them clean with a dry cloth. I had to dump the solution out a few times and switch to a clean dry rag, but I covered a lot of ground quickly and the results were very satisfying…until it rained later that night.

No comments: