Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The lamp that almost got away

When Michael and I first moved to Brooklyn nearly 11 years ago we fell in love with the clean simple lines of this teak floor lamp at an antique shop in Park Slope. At the time, we hadn’t officially moved into our apartment in the same neighborhood, so buying another piece of furniture seemed extravagant. Still, after two days of thinking about it I rushed back to the shop to buy it and, of course, it was gone. I’ve spent years looking for it at every vintage shop I’ve came across… until this week. On a shopping trip for a client at The House in Magnolia I found the one that got away, complete with the exact same shade. I didn’t think twice, this time blurting out “I’ll take it!” That lamp taught us a hard lesson about pulling the trigger fast when you see something that truly is love at first sight.

No comments: